Espedair Street...

After a series of gruelling exams, a completely broken me visited the British Library to find some solace to my aching soul in the vicinity of my best friends: Books...


I found a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy compendium. I immediately grabbed it. I had taken it earlier and finished the first two books and then some idiot reserved and I had to relinquish the book. I was in a festive spirit after getting the book. Alas, it was not to last! I was informed that the book was reserved (which SOB did this again???) and I was left broken once again.


Many interesting books were there . But I simple didn't have the heart to read them. My attention went to the lowest racks. I took that book, once again. Espedair Street by Iain.M.Banks.


Whenever I am feeling a bit down and I am in library invariably I take this book. No, it is not any chicken soup book, but a novel about a rock star (?). You may be asking, "How the hell do you find that calming, dude???"


Well, there are many reasons. Firstly, I am a rock head. I am completely into rock music and not just music, the rock culture. I can relate to it unlike anyone else. Then the protagonist in the novel, Daniel Weir or WEIRD has a some common grounds with me. He wants to be a ground breaking song writer while I am contemplating a career in fiction. He has got a grotesque stammer (at least most of his life) and I have a stammer problem and is tongue tied at certain instances. (Not when I am angry though! I can rant and rant without any aberration when I am raving mad at someone!) Weird is quite an un-handsome and I am not exactly a hunk (way off in fact!) Lastly both of us are dreamers.


The story starts like this. "Three days ago I decided to kill myself. But last night, I decided otherwise." Not too promising, eh? Well, the story is told in a series of flashbacks. Weird is now living in a church like building constructed by an eccentric anti-christian. ( who turned so since his dead baby was not to be granted permission to enter heaven as he was not baptized! not by god but by church...) He is living there under the guise of being Jimmy, the caretaker. He has a load of the eastern bloc booze and some other goods in his cellar to keep him company. (which he incidentally got as royalty from sales in communist countries who refused to part with their currency) He is not alone always though. He has a 50 some semi-drunkard man, late teen boy and a whore to keep him company at times. He is reminiscing his life and career after his band broke due to the on stage death of his band mate.


Lots of good stuff in this book. The writing style is really humorous ( though it is a bit dark mind you!) and you get an insight into a rock star's life. The ending is also a good one. Though one may argue the sanity behind his decisions at the end. But in reality this is a love story, though one may not realise while reading the book.


Highly recommended!***** (I am a sucker for this book so please forgive me for this high rating


One of my favourite books of all time. I think i have read it some 12 times now. Even now the magic doesn't wear off.


From the Internet Book List and the back cover of the book.


Daniel Weir was a famous - not to say infamous - rock star. Maybe he still is. At 31 he has been both a brilliant failure and a dull success. He's made a lot of mistakes that have paid off and a lot of smart moves he'll regret forever. (However long that turns out to be.) Daniel Weir has gone from rags to riches and back, and managed to hold on to them both, though not to much else. His friends all seem to be dead, fed up with him or just disgusted - and who can blame them? And now Daniel Weir is all alone. As he contemplates his life, Daniel realizes he has only two problems: the past and the future. He knows how bad the past has been. But the future - well, the future is something else.

2 comments:

-Poison- said...

i must try to get its e book..dont think tht i wud b able to find it in the public library, the only library i am a member of, other than the college library.

Unknown said...

It is worth it. Though I doubt its ebook availability.

Post a Comment

top