What I wanted to be...

Just had my dinner. There was an interview with Mohanlal on Kairali TV. He was asked whether he wanted to do something that he wanted to but could never be. He replied that nothing of that sort is there. He had become everything in movies so that kind of negates the question.

My mother said then, "You used to say you wanted to be Mohanlal when you were 3 years old.You reasoned that if you became Mohanlal then you could be anything. Doctor, Police etc.
My father: "You wanted to be the trash trolley puller when you were 3!"

Well, I used to have a Russian childrens book then. (Believe me they rocked! I still have some torn pieces of it which I read out of Nostalgia...) In that there used to be a Porcupine (very cute looking one) which had a trolley made of wood. It used to collect stuff in it. I really wanted that and the only real life trolley I saw was the trash trolley.

During that time I wanted to be a CI (Circle Inspector of Police) after reading about the escapades of my father's friend a Police officer in the newspaprer. I really bothered my aunts playing Police by hitting and kicking them. Then I wanted to be a doctor and was confused.
Viola! I will be Mohanlal so I can become everything!

My mother tried to channel me later on and told me about IPS, IAS etc and told me the power of the pen that an IAS officer wielded. So I was interested in becoming one and I had that ambition for a long time until I learned more about the bureaucratic corruption and pulling down of honest officers. During this period I also wanted to become a IAF pilot and a cricketer (actually I wanted to be the youngest player of the team at 8,9,10 years etc and the youngest captain too!)

Then came the IT revolution and the staggering salary IT people earned. I used to dream getting $$$$$$alaries and I had not even seen a computer then apart from those staring at me at various offices.

Teens came by. I started reading more adult fiction books (not the sleazy kind mind you!) and immedialtely wanted to be a writer. I still harbour that desire...

Then some obscure dreams like rockstar, actor, director etc...

The last one was being a manager after getting an MBA. This got into my head well into the BTech course. But god knows whether I could make anything out of it...

It sure has been a great experience for me to recount all these desires. Expecting your comments. They really drive me!

P.S: Apologies for too much swearing in my story. I think I pissed some people. Sorry for that...

9 comments:

danya said...

Interesting Post...its really funny thinking about ur childhood dreams n ambitions...i also had som dmz but not as vast as urs...had the ambition of becoming an IAS officer at som point of time...and then at som other point a doctor ....may b coz my parents dreamt me as a doctor though they didnt force me to...and finally as a space scientist...and realy wondered abt the stars n world beyond earth... and tis last one this was the one i had throughtout my life frm arnd early ages...and still it remins in me as a dream...with the rarest hope of fulfilling it..may b in the next birht(if somthng is there lik tht i may become)...and many hearing my dream say im mad...(once i asked a teacher of mine a qn on the changing of colors of stars...and then he said "concentrate on studies rather than going behind stars"...later i came to know abt the reason of tis color changing...)but its just a dream of mine....

Anonymous said...

cool post naru it's totally nostalgic to think of all the dreams (unfulfilled) we have harboured throughout our lives and as the saying goes man proposes god disposes totally rings true in our ears

silverine said...

Spymovies and I wanted to be a spy, Alistairs Macleen and I wanted to be an undercover agent, Medical Serials and I wanted to be a Doctor, Betty McDonald and I wanted to write Humor, Animal Planet/Discovery and I was sure I wanted to be an Ornithologist.

Those were the days *sigh*

Unknown said...

@Danya I forgot! I wanted to be a astronomer too. That ended after I learned about quantum mechanics and shit like that after I took an astronomy book in 5th std.

@Divakar Man proposes. God disposes. Hmmm I wonder he has a recycle bin, atleast I could appeal for justice after a rejection :-P

@Silverine Movies and TV are a different thing. I want to be almost every "beable" guy in every movie/serial/book I encounter.

Erosimian said...

I wanted to become a scientist.

Now I want to develop chips, but don't know if I got what it takes.

Sellings chips is the last resort if I can't make them!

Anonymous said...

phew! quite a list u have there.......
mine has ranged from teacher to doctor to research in astronomy to fashion designing to movie-making/screenplay writing to psychology to management.....the last three still strong.
lets c,
TC n enjoy,
Divs
PS: missed IAS!!:-D

lost optimist..^!^ said...

very nice post.i remember kids laughed at me when i talked bout my ambition in front of the class..i wanted to be a vetinary doctor..was a big follower of menaka gandhi those days..swore id be a veggie..mom had other plans :(..hehe..

Unknown said...

@duttan The potato variety or the AMD ones? :-D

@Divya Filmmaking is something I like. But i think Ill stick to screenplay.

@Lost optimist Vet doc is something cool and u can earn a lot. Anyway animals are better than us humans...

haris said...

dude i do hav that russian bookz.A must for children.The illustrations were good.My hobby was to make shabby sketches with crayon over the pages...mmm they do remind me of my naughty childhood.I m luck for the book not be lost during my shifting homes thorughout (abt 20 shifts !).The book has the smell of past.

Post a Comment

top