10. System of a Down –Toxicity ( This song was released in 2001 in the bands most successful album. I love the song for its great lyrics and brilliant music which has a lot of variety and creativity.
“…the toxicity of our city…”
9. The Ramones- 53rd and 3rd ( A song from Ramones self titled album from 1970. This song has not been featured in their best of collection ‘Loud, Fast Ramones’. But this song somehow is compelling for me. Just pure Punk Rock with the vocals being on the edge of, what you say, childish.
“53rd and 3rd….”
8. Nirvana- Smells like teen spirit ( The definitive grunge song by the legendary Kurt Cobain from the greatest Grunge album ‘Nevermind’. The song defines the grunge culture. Rocking bad ass song with fabulous lyrics and brilliant music!
“…yeah, whatever, nevermind…”
7. Paul McCartney- Fine Line ( The song from his latest album “Chaos and Creation in the Backyard”. The legend has played all the instruments in the album. The song is sweet, simple and short. Great lyrics and a catchy rhythm to boot.
“There is a fine line between recklessness and courage…”
6. Elvis Priestly- Can’t help Falling in Love ( I just downloaded Best of Elvis in two volumes and I couldn’t help falling love with his music. This is one of the songs I’ve been listening over and over. The lyrics are sublime, so is the King’s voice. Really a classic!
“…some things are meant to be. Take my hand; take my whole life too…”
5. The Monkees – I’m a believer ( I doubt whether the new generation has heard of this band. This is the first ever readymade, pop boy band. Though I hate the pretentious songs of Boy bands, these guys had character. Check wikipedia for more… Well, this song is a terrific one. Most of you must have heard its cover version in Shrek(1) . The finale song sung by Donkey. Catchy Music and great lyrics. I love this song!
“ I thought love was only true in fairy tales…”
4. Deep Purple- Smoke on the water ( The most famous rhythm guitar riff of all time. Richie Blackmore at his best. I learned to play the riff in Fruityloops! Instant Classic!
“Smoke on the water; Fire in the Sky!...”
3. Coldplay- Fix You ( The song from their latest album X&Y. I love this band. Terrific Songs. ( Not Hard Rock or Metal but good rock songs) This song has got a mellow start and classic finale. Fabulous lyrics and the dreamy voice of Chris Martin.
“When you try your best but you don’t succeed
When you get what you want but not what you need”
2. Green Day - Boulevard of Broken Dreams ( This song is really a modern classic for me. I am not getting tired of it. Touching lyrics and a great composition. Very different from Green Days typical Punk Rock( though, very good mind you) fare.
“I walk a lonely road
The only one that I have ever known
Don't know where it goesBut it's home to me and I walk alone
I walk this empty street
On the Boulevard of Broken Dreams
Where the city sleepsand I'm the only one and I walk alone”
1. Cream- Sunshine of your Love ( The legendary band Cream comprising of Greats like Eric Clapton (guitar) , Jack Bruce (vocals and bass) and Ginger Baker(drums). Though the band was alive for just 2 years, they left and indelible mark on the music scene. They were inductees in the Rock n Roll hall of fame for the same. I cant get enough of this song. Simply Sublime! A great opening guitar and bass. Catchy Tune. The dreamy and breathy vocals of Bruce and good lyrics.. And brilliant Guitar work. This is a classic that has stood the test of time.
“It’s getting near dawn,
When lights close their tired eyes.
I’ll soon be with you my love,
To give you my dawn surprise.
I’ll be with you darling soon,
I’ll be with you when the stars start falling.
I’ve been waiting so long
To be where I’m going
In the sunshine of your love.”
1 day ago